Customer service the way it should be and a carrier that delivered

Jenn Submitted this review about AmeriFreight Car Shipping
Review made Live: 1/14/2021 3:36:00 AM
If you're reading this post, you're probably learning that the car shipping process can be a slog that can feel more hectic than actually buying a car. Which transport company should you choose? Will my car be insured? Are they really trustworthy? I feel you. That's why I'm leaving you this very detailed review. Here are the facts: I wanted to ship my Mazda hatchback from MA to WA during the holiday season. I didn't want to spend more than $1,500. After doing some research, I found most quotes between these two states to be between $1,200 and $1,400. These were quotes and not all verified final costs. I expected to pay a bit more during this season. If you're a first-time customer to car shipping, here's what to do and what to know: Do your homework. Set a budget. Know that "transport companies" are actually broker firms. They post a job onto a national board and negotiate a rate for you among the actual carriers. The broker's job is to post a sum for an order that's attractive to carriers, but should also fit into a customer's budget. That said, you will likely get an initially low quote but then be told a higher rate to actually secure the carrier. The broker likely incrementally increased the price until they got a bite from a carrier. You as a consumer should also be reminded that you always have a choice. If the price is too high, say it's too high. You don't have to settle, but you may have to be more flexible on your pickup and delivery time frame to get the price you want. Know that you will likely pay more if you're shipping a truck or SUV vs. a small car or mid-sized sedan (think weight), and/or if your car is farther away from a major highway (added mileage). That said, I narrowed my choices to three brokers. One lost my business because, although responsive, they didn't seem eager to help. AmeriFreight seemed like a good company, but then I found out about a 2015 FTC settlement in which the company was cited for failure to disclose incentives furnished to customers in exchange for favorable reviews. I wondered, could they be trustworthy? So then I planned on working with a third company whose rep was nice and helpful upfront, and offered a price lock guarantee and rebate, and an initial fair rate. After talking to about 8 people there over several days, they failed to find a carrier during my initial pickup window. Then they gave me a higher quote for a new pickup window, even though it was after the holidays. That's when I went back to Samantha Smith and AmeriFrieght. During my initial experience with her, she was pleasant, helpful and highly communicative, even after I canceled my first quote. She once took a call from me later one evening, working around her office holiday party and my remote work schedule in a different time zone, but listened intently and answered my questions thoroughly and in writing when requested. A previous reviewer called her a "breath of fresh air," and she truly is! During my experience with AmeriFreight, Samantha was the only rep I talked to, and she answered every question I had knowledgeably, honestly and with patience. When one quote came in too high for me, and I told her that wasn't going to work, she kept looking, no pressure. Even when I came back the second time, she was nothing but pleasant and professional. Ultimately she found a carrier for my car in no time flat, and close enough to my budget ($1,550). But I was shipping my car from a more rural region, across the country, just after the holidays, in winter weather, during a pandemic. I was OK with this, and didn't feel like I needed to negotiate lower. From quote to delivery, I could always rely on Samantha for support. West Coast Auto Transport was my carrier. Initially, I had a hard time connecting with them to confirm a pick-up time during my three-day pickup window. I emailed Samantha in the evening, and by first thing in the morning, the carrier called me to confirm and detail a pickup plan. My family said the process went smoothly, and arrival was just the same. Driver Vlad was nice and easy to communicate with. My contract said my car would be delivered within 7-10 days, and it arrived in 3 and looked great. I was pleasantly surprised! The driver drove my car off the trailer like a pro, in the rain, into my driveway, and even put the antenna back on for me. There was no pressure to hurry up, pay and sign. He gave me plenty of space to give my car a good look over, as well as the bill of lading, before I signed off on it. And while AmeriFreight did provide me links to leave reviews on various websites at my discretion, they did not offer an incentive -- said that in writing that they would not -- so it seems they have redeemed themselves. What began as an anxious effort to find a reliable car carrier to move my car across the country turned into a positive experience in which the transport company and carrier delivered above my expectation and earned my confidence. Thanks team. Keep up the good work!

Company Response
AmeriFreight from AmeriFreight Car Shipping Submitted this response.
Response Date: 1/14/2021 11:55:00 AM
Call Samantha Smith at (770) 299-8602 for discounted rates and excellent service. Customer feedback drives our business. We thank our customer for shipping with us and spending the time to leave us this valuable and helpful review.